Under the support from AECS-Catalonia, The RVCP through a project “Youth Health Education Project (YHEP)” is carrying out the football tournaments in southern province of Rwanda. This project was designed for village young people to strengthen their abilities to improve their health conditions. Youth club football teams are promoted as a tool for empowerment and education.
The youth club football teams at tournaments are taught about reproductive health and HIV/AIDS
The participation of the community is an essential aspect in implementing the projects and, more generally, in providing basic health care. The key actors are people from the community. Through this they are empowered, gaining greater self-reliance and more active responsibilities additionally improving their own health. They are therefore involved in all stages of the Projects; from initial planning through to the evaluation.
“Governmental and nongovernmental organizations at all levels could do much more to help people especially in village youth, change their behavior to avoid HIV and AIDS”
– To effectively use university volunteers in empowering rural village young people
– To create and strengthen youth club football teams through community visits, mobilization and education.
– To eradicate misconception about HIV/AIDS and cultural norms which lower the status of HIV infected individuals
– To provide the means of HIV/AIDS protection through distributing condoms and visual and reading materials at football tournaments
– To collaborate with urban VCT centers for volunteers to organize mobile VCT services in Huye district
“We appreciate the partnership AECS&MEDSAR through RVCP; this will enable the Rwanda Community to experience the National University of Rwanda motto –Excellent in Education and Service to the People” said Antoine the MEDSAR President.
Representatives of the YHEP-Project in Rwanda
Coordinator : Emmanuel Bakundukize
Assistant Coordinator in Charge of activities: Jean Damascene Uwizeyimana